Elias Mamalakis was born in Athens. He studied economics and worked as a successful corporate manager for a number of years.
In his mid-forties, Elias decided that it was time to pursue his passion for cooking on a professional level.
This decision would ultimately establish him as one of Greece's most popular TV and media personalities.
- To date, Elias has authored 9 books (one of which is a novel) that relate to cooking and his signature "bon viveur" credo, while he has also produced a CD featuring recipes and short stories
- He is a contributor to various publications (the Greek editions of "Elle" and "Gourmet", specialised gastronomy magazines, daily newspapers, etc), and the editor of the Greek culinary edition of "DeAgostini".
- In April 2007 he became the editor in chief of "Olive" magazine's Greek edition. "Olive" is a magazine published in the UK by BBC and is considered as one of the most renowned gastronomy magazines in Europe.
- He has designed products for leading food corporations. Among others, Elias has been credited with the creation of MacDonald's Hellas' "Greek Chicken" and "Greek Mac" (which is currently featured on the menu of MacDonald's restaurants in nearly a dozen countries)
- Elias' daily radio show, which presents recipes that range from the innovatively simple to the highly elaborate, is broadcast on Greece's top-rated "SKAI" network. The show has been on air since 1997, and is consistently ranked as one of the most popular radio programs nationwide
- For three years, Elias hosted the "Stin Kouzina Olotachos" ("Race to the Kitchen") television game show. The show was broadcast on Mega Channel, one of Greece's top-3 networks, and was essentially a Greek version of the BBC's highly successful "Ready, Steady, Cook!"
- For the past four years, Elias has been hosting Mega Channel's "Boukia kai Sychorio" (which loosely translates into "So Delicious"). The show can best be described as a virtual tour through Greece, the Mediterranean and Europe that focuses on local cuisine and culture. "Boukia kai Sychorio" has managed to attract both critical acclaim and impressive ratings. Amongst its numerous national and international distinctions, it was voted "TV Programme of the Year 2006" at the Gourmet Voice International Festival in Cannes, France
- In 2007, after a nationwide vote by the leading lifestyle magazine in Greece, he was awarded as the most popular TV persona in Greece.
- Elias has hosted numerous seminars on Greek cheeses, ancient Greek cuisine, the Mediterranean diet and other related topics for a variety of educational institutions (elementary schools, high-schools and universities), as well as organisations, conventions, etc based in Greece and Cyprus
Elias is a member of several prestigious Greek and international culinary bodies [Slow Food, the International Wine Federation (F.I.J.E.V)) and the Academie Internationale de la Gastronomie].
He speaks French and English.
Elias' Book Titles
- Cook-wise (1994)
- Cook-wise 2 (1996)
- "Don't Worry, It's On Me!" (a novel, 1997)
- Greek Cheese (1999)
- Mediterranean Cuisine(1998)
- Cook or Captain? (2001)
- What is Elias Cooking Up Now? (2003)
- Les fromages d' Europe (Slow Food Editions-Italy)
- Come to my kitchen (2007)